GCHQ: Can you crack it?

Just had a quick go at this, but can’t afford any more time on it, so thought I’d share my progress (if any!)

 

The code starts as..

eb 04 af c2 bf a3 81 ec 00 01 00 00 31 c9 88 0c
0c fe c1 75 f9 31 c0 ba ef be ad de 02 04 0c 00
d0 c1 ca 08 8a 1c 0c 8a 3c 04 88 1c 04 88 3c 0c
fe c1 75 e8 e9 5c 00 00 00 89 e3 81 c3 04 00 00
00 5c 58 3d 41 41 41 41 75 43 58 3d 42 42 42 42
75 3b 51 89 d1 89 e6 89 df 29 cf f3 a4 89 de 89
d1 89 df 29 cf 31 c0 31 db 31 d2 fe c0 02 1c 06
8a 14 06 8a 34 1e 88 34 06 88 14 1e 00 f2 30 f6
8a 1c 16 8a 17 30 da 88 17 47 49 75 de 31 db 89
d8 fe c0 cd 80 90 90 e8 9d ff ff ff 41 41 41 41

This looks very much like hexadecimal to me… so converting it to decimal yields…

235 04 175 194 191 163 129 236 00 01 00 00 49 201 136 12
12 254 193 117 249 49 192 186 239 190 173 222 02 04 12 00
208 193 202 08 138 28 12 138 60 04 136 28 04 136 60 12
254 193 117 232 233 92 00 00 00 137 227 129 195 04 00 00
00 92 88 61 65 65 65 65 117 67 88 61 66 66 66 66
117 59 81 137 209 137 230 137 223 41 207 243 164 137 222 137
209 137 223 41 207 49 192 49 219 49 210 254 192 02 28 06
138 20 06 138 52 30 136 52 06 136 20 30 00 242 48 246
138 28 22 138 23 48 218 136 23 71 73 117 222 49 219 137
216 254 192 205 128 144 144 232 157 255 255 255 65 65 65

65

 

I then tried some character encodings… first as alt codes.. 

ë ¯ Â ¿ £ ü ì    etc…

unicode was much the same, and ascii didn’t really work.

 

Next, I tried bringing the original decimal to modulo 26, (i.e. 27 becomes 1, 28 becomes 2 etc.)

 

1 4 19 12 9 7 25 2 0 1 0 0 23 19 6 12
12 20 11 13 15 23 10 4 5 8 17 14 2 4 12 0
0 11 20 8 8 2 12 8 8 4 6 2 4 6 8 12
20 11 13 24 25 14 0 0 0 7 19 25 13 4 0 0
0 14 10 9 13 13 13 13 13 15 10 9 14 14 14 14
13 7 3 7 1 7 22 7 15 15 25 9 8 7 14 7
1 7 15 15 25 23 10 23 11 23 2 20 10 2 2 6
8 20 6 8 0 4 6 0 6 6 20 4 0 8 22 12
8 2 22 8 23 22 10 6 23 19 21 13 14 23 11 7
8 20 10 23 24 14 14 24 1 21 21 21 13 13 13 13

 and then reference 0 to a, 1 to b, 2 to c… yielding

b e t m j h z c a b a a x t g m
m u l n p x k e f I r o c e m a
a l u I I c m I I e g c e g I m
u l n y z o a a a h t z n e a a
a o k j n n n n n p k j o o o o
n h d h b h w h p p z j I h o h
b h p p z x k x l x c u k c c g
I u g I a e g a g g u e a I w m
I c w I x w k g x t v n o x l h
I u k x y o o y b v v v n n n n

then [with the help of this site] tried various operations on the rows and columns of letters, mostly the rotating of the letters from their position through the alphabet (the function called ROT.all) in case they’d displaced the letter/number combo by some arbitrary number, none of them looked legible.

This is where I decided not to waste more time on it!

I also tried viewing the page source, but no tips there.

Hope this helps someone… 

Advertisements